What to know
- Some PDF files allow for other files to be embedded into a PDF document itself.
- These may be used for multimedia content in the document, or as a means of retaining an external file reference when the file is archived or transmitted. In some cases, it may be required to redact these attachments.
- While some of the attached files may be listed through a Relativity supplied tab in the viewer, the only means Blackout provides for their redaction is through the use of the Blackout Document Review Tool.
- Each column within the Attachment Redaction Tool can be filtered using the button.
- Any redactions to files made by the automated process will show up here as a redacted file. They will not appear in the quality control panel.
How to do it
- Open the Blackout Document Review Tool by clicking the button at the bottom left of the viewer.
- Choose the Attachment Redaction Tool by clicking the button.
- Navigate to the attachment that will be redacted. Then, click the button. After a brief delay, the attachment will be redacted and the 'Redact' button will be grayed out and replaced with the button.
- If the redaction needs to be undone, the button can be selected. This will undo the redaction of the selected attachment.
What else to consider
- Attachments can also be redacted from an Automated PDF Project using a checkmark option on the project setup page.
- Attachments that are redacted will be removed completely from the document. To examine the file with the attachment removed, the user would need to click on the "Download Redacted File" button or run the document through the production preparation project.