With Blackout 1.6 now available it is possible to configure your Blackout agents to restrict job execution only to the agents which are associated with your clients' configured resource pool. This is especially valuable in the world of managed services where clients may have resource pools configured with agent servers, SQL servers and file repositories available only to them.
By enabling this feature, you can provide peace and mind for your clients that their resources will be used to process only the their Blackout jobs.
Step 1 - Configure your resource pool
To get started, double check to make sure that your resource pool is set-up and configured with the agent servers you want Blackout to run on for that client. In this example, we will be using the agent servers K12-BOUATWK and K12-R94-TR for the Milyli Client Resource Pool for the Milyli client.
Step 2 - Create the required agents on the selected agent servers
In order for us to enable the option for jobs to execute on these agents from the workspaces using the Milyli Client Resource Pool, we need to add the following Blackout agent types to the agent servers associated with the Milyli Client Resource Pool. There are some things to keep in mind about each type included below.
- (1) Blackout Redaction Job Agent on either K12-R94-TR or K12-BOUATWK - changed with this release, more than one Blackout Redaction Job Agent may exist in the instance at one time. Please note that only one Blackout Redaction Job Agent will perform the work during Blackout jobs that are executed on workspaces using this resource pool. Important - If this agent does not exist on an agent server associated with the resource pool and "use resource pool aware agents" is enabled, jobs for those workspaces will not run!
- (1) Blackout Redaction Agent on either K12-R94-TR or K12-BOUATWK or BOTH - if there is a redaction agent on both servers, then both of these redaction agents will be used for placing redactions during Blackout jobs that are executed on workspaces using the Milyli Client Resource Pool.
- (1) Blackout OCR Agent on either K12-R94-TR or K12-BOUATWK or BOTH - if there is an OCR agent on both servers, then both of these OCR agents will be used for OCRing during Blackout jobs that are executed on workspaces using the Milyli Client Resource Pool.
The following screenshot demonstrates a valid example of agent configuration that would result in jobs running successfully for our Milyli Client Resource Pool above.
Step 3 - Enable resource pool agent awareness
Now that we have ensured that our resource pool is associated with agents and those agents have the required Blackout agents installed on them, we can now enable the resource pool aware feature in Blackout. To do so navigate to:
Admin Tabs -> Blackout -> Configuration
On this configuration page a new option will be present labeled "Resource Pool Aware Agents". Check the box for this option and click save.
That's it! Blackout is now configured to enforce your agents only run jobs using agents associated with the workspace client's resource pool!
There are few things that you should take into consideration before enabling this feature.
- If you install Blackout on a workspace that is not associated with a resource pool that has agent servers with the proper Blackout agents installed on them then Blackout will not operate on those workspaces.
- If you generally use a default or catch all resource pool for most clients on your instance, as long as that default resource pool is associated with agent servers with the Blackout agents installed on them, then all of those clients will be able to run jobs just fine.
- Blackout is going to make the decision on which resource pool to use based on resource pool of the workspace. This means that if the workspace was created using a different resource pool than the one created for your client, then Blackout use the original resource pool.